Adam Lopez Stops Carlos Valcarcel, Taneal Goyco Shocks Jerry Odom at 2300 Arena

Adam Lopez
Photo by Rosie Cohe, Showtime Sports.

Recap by Resolution Sports.

Boxing returned to 2300 Arena in Philadelphia on Friday night, as GH3 Promotions and Victory Boxing Promotions presented an intriguing bout sheet that saw a few dramatic finishes.

In the main event of the evening, undefeated super bantamweight Adam Lopez (16-0-1, 7 KOs) welcomed veteran Carlos Valcarcel (14-8-4, 5 KOs) into the ring. Both men were active in the contest, keeping the action mostly on the inside to make for a fun fight. Lopez was the cleaner combatant on the exchanges, getting off his numbers to gradually break his opponent down.

By the time of the seventh round, both fighters began to slow down, but Lopez was showing that he still had some burst left. When the eighth frame got underway, he found another level and turned up the volume in an attempt to get Valcarel out of there. Lopez started focusing on the body and banged away with some hammering hooks from both hands. The strategy proved to be the correct one, and he eventually unloaded a left-handed liver shot that crumbled Valcarel and left him unable to continue. The official time of the stoppage came at the 1:47 mark of the eighth and final round.

In the co-feature of the evening, undefeated Chicago native Ed Brown (19-0, 15 KOs) faced Albert Mensah (29-6-1, 13 KOs) of Ghana.

After a rather slow start, the action heated up in the third frame as Brown started to become more comfortable and sit on his punch combinations. As the rounds progressed, he continued to find his rhythm, changing his levels and switching stances while proving that he was the craftier fighter. Brown eventually became the bully in the eighth and final frame, but Mensah was able to make it to the finish line.

After the judges at ringside revealed their thoughts, a unanimous decision victory in favor of Brown was given after he secured scores of 80-72 (twice) and 79-73.

In welterweight action, Jaron Ennis (6-0, 6 KOs) kept both his undefeated record and professional knockout streak intact, dominating Chrisshawn Alexander (4-4, 4 KOs) over four rounds and leaving him unwilling to answer the bell for the fifth frame. Ennis picked his spots throughout the contest, delivering flurries when he created his openings.

Early in the fourth round, Ennis scored the lone knockdown of the bout when he caught an off-balance Alexander with a swinging left hook that dropped him.

Junior welterweight Kenneth Sims, Jr. (10-0, 4 KOs) returned to action in a six-round fight against Jonathan Dinong (5-1, 4 KOs), doing enough to secure flush 60-54 counts on all three score cards from the ringside officials.

In a shocking upset, tough Philadelphia journeyman Taneal Goyco (9-9-1, 4 KOs) went toe-to-toe with the hard-hitting Jerry Odom (14-3-1, 13 KOs) in a violent super middleweight affair that left Odom unable to answer the bell for the sixth frame.

The opening round saw some really good exchanges, eventually ending with a big flurry from Odom.  Goyco started to find some success in the second frame, working Odom onto the ropes and firing off shots while smothering him.

By the time the third round arrived, both men stepped inside the phone booth and started to give and take in a brutal inside fight. The tide truly began to turn in the fourth frame, as Goyco appeared to hurt Odom with an early burst before keeping his foot on the pedal to capitalize. Goyco unloaded with both hands, while Odom, to his credit, still looked to respond in an effort to bang his way out of trouble.

The following round was another good one for Goyco, who picked up where he left off in the previous frame. After finding success there earlier in the bout, Goyco again worked Odom to the ropes and began to unload with both hands, really starting to find a home for his uppercut in the process. He threw his punches in bunches and knew that he had seized control of the momentum.

After that fifth round, Goyco found himself in advantageous situation and on the cusp of the biggest victory of his professional career. That mark on the resume would then be solidified as the bell rang to start the sixth frame, as Odom was unable to continue.

Super middleweight Derrick “Take it to the Bank” Webster (21-1, 11 KOs) put on a dominant five-round display on Friday night at 2300 Arena as well, dismantling Zoltan Sera (26-11, 17 KOs) of Hungary en route to a TKO victory. The stoppage for Webster, who is represented by DandD Management, came at the 1:28 mark of the fifth frame. (Read Full Recap)

For all of the latest news in combat sports, make sure to stay tuned to Fight Headlines.

Photo: Adam Lopez (Rosie Cohe, Showtime Sports)